Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Fast Food Break-Up

Fast food is like a bad boyfriend/girlfriend. No matter how much you try to justify to yourself and the world around you that it's SOOO GOOOD.... it still leaves you unhappy, out of shape, exhausted and broke. Not to mention that you're certainly not the only one in town allowed to drive-thru, if you get my drift ;)
For as long as I can remember, I've had an unhealthy relationship with fast food. I love french fries, cheeseburgers, Jack in the Box breakfast sandwiches, hash browns, chicken nuggets, and so much more.... but you know what, fast food is a bitch that doesn't love me back.
THAT'S IT - I'M OVER YOU, FAST FOOD!
Why? Because... You're just not that tight and you're definitely NOT the best I've ever had!
Also like any bad boyfriend/girlfriend though, it's hard to just walk away happy as a clam and move on. Thus, I've been putting together a game plan that goes something like this:
 
Be Prepared
The first step in my fast food break-up process is putting some serious thought into when I hit the drive-thru and why. My main reasons?
(1) I feel too hungry and too busy for any alternatives.
(2) I've been drinking alcohol and greasy food sounds so damn delicious.
(3) I'm emotional and feel like stuffing my face to smother my feelings. 
Well, that's all fine and dandy, except, oh wait... it's NOT! Here are some solutions I've been working on to address the 3 main reason I figured out for myself:
 
(1)
Keep something quick and easy on hand at all times - when I'm on the road, that could be one of my 5 On-The-Go Food Favorites or when I'm home (or heading home) with no desire to cook, that could be one of my favorite Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones frozen dinners that takes a whole 4 minutes to microwave. For all the Captain Obviouses (yes, I probably made up the word obviouses) out there who are about to tell me frozen meals aren't a healthy choice... YES, you are right that they are not the ideal healthy choice. However, my point is to ease my fast food break-up and making the decision to eat a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones is definitely better and more health conscious than the drive-thru.

(2)
The obvious remedy would be don't drink as much alcohol.... but let's not get crazy... I'm a 20-something single lady which means I shall continue sipping cocktails as I so please. Thus, my alternative remedies include eating a substantial meal before drinking, consistently drinking water while I consume alcohol, and having a buddy on-call to help remind me that I don't really want fast food at the end of the night.

(3)
Emotional eating and dealing with stress in unhealthy ways is such a bigger issue than I can address in a few sentences. My personal experience has taught me that acknowledging how I feel and that it's OK is a huge part of dealing with things. I've also tried to spend a lot of time finding ways to release this emotional energy in more effective ways, like exercising, writing in a journal, talking to family & friends, trying something new that will take my mind off of it (i.e. crafting, gardening, visiting a new place, cooking a healthy meal, etc...), and reflecting on the origin of my emotional issues. The more I stay away from emotional unhealthy eating, the better I feel too, which helps me build a stronger and stronger case to say no when I want to give in!
 
Break-Up Reminders
By reminding myself WHY I broke up with fast food in the first place, I can more effectively stop and really discourage myself from going back.

NO, IT WILL NOT BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME IF I GO BACK.
NO, IT HASN'T CHANGED.
NO, IT WILL NOT MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

YES, IT WILL MAKE MY SKIN BREAK OUT.
YES, IT WILL MAKE ME FEEL FAT.
YES, IT WILL MAKE ME SPEND MORE MONEY THAN I SHOULD.

Period.

2 comments:

  1. HERE HERE GIRLFRIEND!!

    I'll be your fast food sponsor. No Jack in the Box again for you when I drive you home after a night in Old Town :)

    It's better for your body, mind, skin, and life overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again.
    catering white plains ny

    ReplyDelete