Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tasty Thursday - Target Practice

On this Tasty Thursday, my mind is wandering... I keep catching myself thinking about the short term satisfaction of a cookie rather than staying focused on my long term success and goals. Don't worry, I keep telling myself, this is normal. However, I also keep reminding myself that personal re-training is a critical part of obtaining and keeping a fit life. In order to stop looking and feeling like a piece of crap, changes need to be made. I understand that. I also understand that making changes that actually stick is more mental than anything else. If someone is eating well and getting exercise but continues to think like someone who doesn't work out and eats three times as much as they should everyday, they're definitely going to go back to that lifestyle at some point. So, what do I need to do to think like a healthy and fit person, I keep wondering? Well, I've been hearing more and more about this concept of re-training your brain, and honestly, I am totally on board. By giving ourselves new tools to use and concentrating on shifting our approach and overall mindset, we are much more likely to notice positive lifelong changes. I don't know about you folks, but I certainly need some help re-training my brain when it comes to food.... So, instead of our normal Tasty Thursday segments today, we're going to explore some resources for re-training and overall healthy eating: 


Fuel Target System
I recently found an article in Marie Claire that hit home for me because it really stays in line with my preferred ingredient based eating. In the article, Bob Seebohar's Fuel Target System is introduced. He explains that "eating right and feeling your best are all about seeing the big picture - which happens to look like a target..."

Ring 1 (Bullseye!)
Lean Proteins & Healthy Fats
salmon, tofu, chicken, eggs, walnuts, olive oil, etc...

Ring 2
Whole Fruits & Vegetables
watermelon, bananas, pomegranates, oranges, broccoli, kale, spinach, arugula, beets, etc...

Ring 3
Whole Grains & Healthy Starches
quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat tortillas, etc...

Outside the Rings...
alcohol, refined-sugar and refined-flour products (like chocolate chip cookies, Twinkies, white bread, etc...), processed foods, sweets, most other junk food, etc...

Thanks, Bob and Marie Claire... I like the idea of "target" consumption!


Hunger vs Appetite

Eating when I'm not actually HUNGRY happens more frequently than I would like. For me, I feel like distinguishing between hunger and appetite and actually eating or not eating accordingly will be required for ultimate fit life success. Don't lie (to yourself), you're probably in a very similar position. It's ok, let's all admit it and overcome it together :) Next time you reach for a snack or start to engage in mindless eating... ask yourself some of these questions:

Am I hungry?
Am I bored?
Have I had a glass of water?
AM I ACTUALLY HUNGRY?!?

Here's more to check out too...

No comments:

Post a Comment