Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday

As previously discussed, Coachella is coming and I'm spending the next 2 weeks getting into tip-top shape. Accordingly, I thought it would be fun to wait and see the outcome together! No peeking....


Plus, patience is a very important part of a fit life, so I'm really just helping you in more ways than you realize. You're welcome :)


Accountability Check Point
Wow, it's Wednesday already? Time sure does fly by when you're balancing life's everyday madness with paying attention to eating right and exercising! Let's check out my shortcomings and successes this week...

Thank you, 4-8-12 for keeping me going. This week was one of many cravings and I was constantly tested to stay on track. As you learned yesterday in Tricks and Tips Tuesday - Goal Getter Gear, I don't always succeed, but that's part of the process, my friends. After that rough craving caving day last Friday, I had to add something extra to my 4-8-12. That something extra turned out to be a semi hidden fist pump (semi hidden because I usually have to do it in public places). Yes, you read correctly, I am now doing a semi hidden fist pump in addition to repeating "4-8-12" when really bad cravings come my way. Yesterday, that went something like this: 
I'm walking to another part of the office where I need to pass the candy jar to access. I pause as I pass the candy jar, thinking about how tasty a Kit Kat or Crunch bar mini might taste. "No," I say to myself. "But maybe just oneeee..." the devil inside responds. "No, seriously Rachel... 4-8-12, don't give in," my better self bites back without giving up. "No, just 1...or 2...or 3 will be fine..." the devil says in one last attempt but then "NO!" fist pump commences and I proudly say to myself "4-8-12 and I can't grab candy if my hands are fist pumping... TAKE THAT!" The end result? Success, obviously.

“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.” 
― Elizabeth GilbertEat, Pray, Love

Oh the joys of activity incorporated into our daily lives... I like it, don't you?? This week, I had a blast focusing on the little extra activity additions to my days - I strengthened my core as I drove around town, I purposely parked on a higher level of the parking structure so I could walk up and down more stairs, and my favorite of all, I took a 4 hour walk with my amazing Mom over the weekend. We wanted to chat and catch up, so instead of just sitting around an eating table of sorts, we tied up our tennis shoes and hit the pavement. We caught up, tackled more hills than either of us expected, felt accomplished, and both of us are feeling the calf burn because of it! That's an all around WIN if you ask me!

Fired up the kitchen several times this week, and I think it's important to note that NOT everything worked out so well. I used to avoid experimentation because I was scared I wouldn't like something, I didn't want to waste my precious groceries, and understandably, I didn't want to be forced to eat something gross. For me, all that came of that mindset was boredom and a challenging time sticking to my goals. Now, I never hesitate to try something new, whether it's something I'm cooking, something I'm eating out, or something someone else has made. What's my new favorite meal you're wondering? I already told you during the last Tasty Thursday, silly goose.

Less words, more action is a constant challenge - I think for most of us. I've been doing well in this area, but there's always room for improvement (of course). This week, I'm most proud of myself for finally getting to Cardio Barre Hollywood and using the 1st of 10 classes that I got as an amazing LivingSocial deal a little while ago. I've done barre workouts before but this was unlike anything I've tried and it felt great! The instructor was fantastic (which is a BIG deal for me), the environment was fun and welcoming, my buns are still on fire and I was very pleased to see men in the class to tone up with the ladies... Love Love Love!


The Will Power Workout
A lot of the success I have achieved as well as the success that lies ahead is thanks to will power. In the past, will power was something I didn't have much of... or, I didn't think I had much of it. Little did I know, will power is something you always have, and it's just a matter of how strong or weak it is.


Every week, I work on my willpower. 
Every week, I give in to temptation. 
Every week, I refuse to give up.
Everyday, I commit to making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment